APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Thoughts on FCPX from Oliver Peters

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Thoughts on FCPX from Oliver Peters
on Jul 23, 2011 at 3:26:42 pm

[David Battistella] "I'm just thinking in terms if a new tool and what it "could" or "couldn't" do, rather than try to wedge it into working in an existing workflow methodology.

I've resolved myself to the fact that it is a new approach and I'm exploring what the thinking is behind that approach."

Yes. Agreed.

[David Battistella] " like you would on FCP server, then I think it's a bit better than existing San setups because it's managing that stuff for you. Freeing you to edit."

This is true.

Unfortunately, the Final Cut Server situation has also now ingrained a new mistrust of Apple into me. I work a lot at a company that invested heavily in an FC Server-based environment 1 1/2 years ago. (FC Server, Xserve, Mac OS X Server, FiberJet shared storage) That's ultimately a lot of money (actual dollars and time investment) that's been thrown away. The irony is that the combo of FCP7 and FC Server works really, really well and does exactly what this facility wanted. It gives you not only asset tracking, but also centralized media management and project management.

Since there will be no further development with FC Server - and it's locked into an FCP7 environment - they are having to consider a migration to something else. Not only is there the additional cost of the asset management tool replacement, but also the migration of taking their FC Server assets into a new environment. The hardware is fine, but you'd still have to spend time in reconfiguring the way the storage is now allocated. Of course, they can simply "freeze" the installation in its current state, which is likely what will happen, but the longer you way to change, the more costly it becomes.

It's things like this that make me reluctant to consider any Apple software product ever again for use beyond the needs of an individual user. I wish I didn't feel that way, but I do.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]