APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Hancock
Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?
on Jul 22, 2011 at 2:41:49 am

Here's why I'll move off of FCP7 now rather than wait for FCPX.

I know Avid. I know a bit about Premiere (learning more now). I don't know FCPX. Right now, FCPX doesn't work for our facility - it's missing key features we require.

You ask why we don't just stay with FCP7. We've been considering a switch. We waited to see what FCPX would be. So, we certainly could stay on FCP7 but we shoot a lot of Red. FCP7 doesn't read Red files natively. Premiere and Avid do, so for shortform work we gain time and disk space by leaving FCP, which requires a transcode. Same with P2 and XDCam. Plus, we can open FCP7 projects in Premiere. You can't in FCPX and Apple has stated that they won't fix that (maybe 3rd party will, probably not).

Avid and Premiere both offer more realtime than FCP7. Substantially more. Plus, we might need to add another license to a another system in the near future. Avid and Premiere are available for purchase, FCP7 is not.

But here's the biggest reason I'll switch NLEs (surprised nobody has mentioned this - maybe I just missed it). FCPX requires learning a new way to do exactly what we're doing (and we're already doing it well and fast). So we can take time to learn how to edit again (new timeline, new terminology, etc.), or we can move to another system that already operates how we expect, uses the language we know, and we can continue editing and spend the time we would have spent learning how to edit all over again on FCPX and learn another skillset instead. Maybe C4D, spend more time training in After Effects, download DaVinci Resolve Lite and learn it, etc... For me, I see it more as - I can learn to use a new hammer even though I'm good with the old one, or I can learn how to use a saw.

That's why I'll leave FCP7 and not use FCPX. If FCPX grows into an app that will work in our facility, maybe it will get tested. But by the time that happens we'll already have established new workflows around Premiere or Avid so there really wouldn't be a need to switch. It would have to offer a substantial savings in time (exponentially more efficiencies) to get me to come back. I don't believe it will do that, at least not fast enough to stop us from switching.

In the meantime, we use FCP7 while we get up to speed on Premiere or Avid (probably Premiere - we already own it).

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]