APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Christopher Gildenstern
Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 7:23:55 pm

I believe it has as much to do with the discontinuation of FCP 7 as the shortcomings of FCP X. When business picks up, folks need to buy additional seats. Apple has just basically told the editing community, "Here's a product which is quite obviously not ready for prime time, and if you feel like expanding your business footprint, it's the only one we'll sell you." Couple that with the fact that this looks like nothing more than yet another solid, professional product EOL'd by Apple, and I think you'll find that there are a very large number of people who feel it's not worth giving them a year to figure out what they want to do.

Combine that with the fact that Apple has become, IMO, one of the worst tech companies in the known world at communicating their roadmap clearly, and it seems as good a time as any to jump ship. Adobe and Avid are just making it an easier and less expensive decision.

FCP X has some neat stuff under the hood. It also has, IMO, at its heart, a consumer/prosumer focus. I'm not bagging on it. It's Apple's software and they're free to do with it what they will. But between their EOL practices, their terrible PR, and a new editing platform that strikes me not only as alpha-level software in terms of ability and stability but aimed at a larger consumer market, I feel they're the ones who abandoned ship early, not the masses of editors who are now looking to migrate elsewhere.

Christopher Gildenstern
Creative/Production Director
Barnes Chase & Davis, Inc.
Advertising, Marketing, New Media

(This space for rent)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]