APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW? (kinda long)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW? (kinda long)
on Jul 21, 2011 at 5:49:54 am

Walter,

While I moan the fact that I was raised in an analog video world where there were objective standards from studio camera to broadcast signal built around real standards like SMPTE bars and Vectorscope targets - the sad reality is that at the "eyeball" end of the chain, there is such disarray in the present functioning screen world that I'm not sure that yesterday's objective standards even apply.

Walk into your average sports bar.

If your experience is anything like mine lately - you'll find a dozen various age and technology driven Plasma, LCD and even projector screens showing the same game - and they will display a range of color shadings that typically run from the woeful to the INSANE.

I've seen the same jersey show in three TOTALLY different colors on three adjacent screen all presumably fed by the same antenna or cable signal.

I appreciate fully why the original signal should have a particular standard digital RGB numerical value that describes what that jersey color should ideally be - but in practice we can have little faith that said color will be displayed with any accuracy whatsoever.

THAT is the central sadness of this new era. There is simply no end to end consistency built into color delivery system in today's ad hoc distribution systems.

All we can do is keep trying to do our work well - but all the careful lighting, camera setting, and production values mean nothing if at the point of some DA, comb filter or software transcoding hash table strips out our careful work and displays a MESS to the public.

I was doing some fashion work in the studio and noticed that on two adjacent LCD "professional" LED monitors the clothing colors were displaying significantly differently. The client asked me which was right. I had to drag out an old tube monitor before I could answer that.

Wasn't the brave new world of "digtial video" supposed to make this stuff better? Sheesh.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]