APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW? (kinda long)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW? (kinda long)
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:05:18 am

[Chris Kenny] "I have no idea if Apple's current utilization of ColorSync is up to the task, but better computer displays commonly have a wider gamut than Rec. 709 these days."

I specifically said in the post you responded to that hardware-calibrated wide gamut monitors would offer better accuracy than soft-calibrated 8-bit displays.

[Chris Kenny] "There is no fundamental technical reason they cannot display accurate video color."

Black levels vary wildly on standard computer displays. This is a fundamental technical reason why they may not accurately display video color. It's inherent in the panel, and you can't fix it with color management.

But unless you have appropriate lighting and environment color, this is all moot anyway.

[Chris Kenny] "I'm not sure why so much time has been spent discussing FCP X's lack of 'real' video output, when there is good reason to believe this feature will be added."

Because it's not here now, we don't know when it's coming, and Matrox has said the hooks don't exist. Color issues aside, until proper video monitoring is here, how can you monitor for field issues or use external scopes?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]