APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John Christie
Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:46:18 pm

I run a department with 20 edit suites, 3 Xsans and 4 assistants stations. Like everyone else, I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of a 64 bit version of FCP. But it has to be one that fits the need of my department TODAY. With every new release of FCP in the past, we'd look at it, go ooh and ahh at the new features and then wait a few weeks before upgrading to make sure there were no serious bugs. But we always knew we could open our old projects and we knew we could rely on it for things like machine control, proper colour space with third party cards, OMF, EDL etc, etc.

So when Apple announced FCP-X and we all looked at, there was still some ooh-ing and awe-ing. But all the tools we rely on in our business were gone. Apple has essentially said goodbye to the high end pro market.

You can talk all you like about new editing paradigms and relational databases, but if I can't get a show delivered onto HDcam tape, or share multiple projects across 20 edit suites, then I'm not even going to look at it.

I've never seen a new version of ANY software come out that doesn't offer a migration path from the old software. Sure, maybe not everything translates 100% from FCP2 to FCP7, but I did open a consolidated project from FCP2 and it opened just fine in FCP7, except for a few speed change shots I had to rebuild.

That doesn't mean I'm going to jump ship to Avid today or tomorrow. Maybe Apple will add some of what they've removed back into FCP-X, but I can't wait around for ever. And the deafening silence from Apple doesn't add to my comfort level with them.

A lot has been said about volume licensing, but in Canada, Apple never sold volume licenses to companies like ours. So we can't add any more FCP7 systems.

We've set a two year deadline to move to another platform. Most likely Avid, but you never know. Two years is a long time in the computer world.

After yesterdays financial announcements, it's become clear that iOS, iPhones and iPads are the new Apple. Mac sales were only 18% of the gross. And the release of FCP-X has announced to the world that Apple doesn't want to be at the top of the pro-market anymore.

Cheers

John C

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]