APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW? (kinda long)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mitch Ives
Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW? (kinda long)
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:03:26 pm

[Bill Davis] "I'm finally seeing a growing chorus of people who are diving more deeply to try to see the "what and why" of the decisions that this team of high-level professional video editing interface designers elected to do in the re-build."

I'm all for the let's see what this thing can do... and not to put too fine a point on things, but how can they see anything? The damn thing can't output video to a properly calibrated HD monitor. Unless you're in the $400 web video market, where apparently we don't care if the color is wrong, the fields could be inverted, or the video blown out and illegal... this is a... yeah a serious problem.

I've gotten over the not importing old projects, though I don't really like it. I've gotten over the no multicam, because they "claim" it's coming (although with no timeframe). I've gotten over the interface paradigm shift, as I don't have a problem with change. What I haven't gotten over is this concept of "building a boat in my basement". What's the point, if I can't get it out and look at it?

Personally, I think my client's $400 web videos (or whatever price) should have proper color correction, proper exposure, and no tearing (if it has fields), but maybe I'm being unreasonable. Maybe I'm a Luddite for thinking that paying clients deserve some competence for their money. If being paid is the only definition for being "a professional", then I guess from now on, I'll refer to "prostitutes" as "professional women" since they meet the definition of getting paid.

Personally, I'm in the "balanced" camp. We're at the beginning of a journey, and I get that. Lion is probably going to complicate things further, so I think 6 months is a good time frame to reevaluate things. However, this "let's not say anything negative" crap reminds me of the "let's check into the denial suite" approach of progressive liberals. It's counter-productive.

How about we meet in the middle? Let's talk about all the great potential, as well as some of the glaring omissions that Apple has made. Holding their feet to the fire is an integral part of making the app better IMO...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]