APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW? (kinda long)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW? (kinda long)
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:41:02 pm

The most sensible voices I keep hearing are those who at least TRY to understand the larger realities of the re-build.

I have never said that the complainers (or the supporters!) are right or wrong. Merely that this thing is a LOT more complex than people first thought. It is NOT incremental. So those who judge it through the lens of, say, CURRENT PROJECT COMPATIBILITY are very much CORRECT to be disappointed.

The larger point, however, might be that until someone stops focusing on compatibility as the be-all and end-all of the question - and moves on to looking at what might have been gained by moving compatibility off the list - does a larger pattern become clearer?

I'm finally seeing a growing chorus of people who are diving more deeply to try to see the "what and why" of the decisions that this team of high-level professional video editing interface designers elected to do in the re-build.

If ALL that matters to you is opening up your prior projects - YES - abandon FCP-X. It does not do that. And they've clearly explained why it never will. So re-re-hashing that is, to me, like someone who won't even consider if it's a nice melody - since it's being played on an accordian and the listerner HATES accordians.

The real juice right now in FCP evaluation is in figuring out whether or not it might do other things than opening old files in a superior way to what's come before it - then judging how those NEW attributes might empower us to work to our advantage.

Time spent on what it's NOT verses sussing out what it might become.

This might be the classic "glass half full or empty" debate - and everyone familiar with that hoary old idiom knows it says almost nothing about the glass OR the water level - and EVERYTHING bout the person looking at the glass.

Simple as that.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]