APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Greg Andonian
Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:20:41 pm

[Gareth Randall] "Why not simply stay with FCP7 and see what happens to FCPX over the next year or so"

The problem is, many of them have already been waiting about FOUR YEARS or so for Apple to deliver a serious upgrade to Final Cut. FCP7 is still 32 bit. It can only use 2 processor cores, even if the computer it's running on has two CPUs with six cores each. And it can't use more than 4 gigs of ram. On top of that, everything has to be converted to ProRes before any editing can take place. Because of this there was a great desire among FCP users for Apple to modernize FCP with a 64-bit version that would take better advantage of their expensive hardware. Their patience really dwindled over the past year because Adobe showed them what their Mac Pros were really capable of with a new 64-bit, GPU-accelerated Premiere Pro CS5. Many people became upset that on Apple's own hardware, another company's NLE was performing much better than FCP. Many people saw that and thought the results SHOULD be reversed, considering with FCP everything was being made by the same company.

Even before the FCPX release many were saying that it was sink or swim time for FCP. They wanted Apple to send in a heavy hitter who could really knock one out of the park- and instead they got a little leaguer with "tremendous potential for the future". That combined with the feeling of being disenfranchised by the EOL of FCP7 and the inability of FCPX to open their old projects is what lead to the current situation. FCPX may have potential for later on, but here in the present there are deadlines to be met and big projects to be edited that may require more FCP licenses. Many people are already tired of waiting for FCP7 to get upgraded and don't want to wait for Junior to grow up. And the other NLEs meet their needs much better, RIGHT NOW.

I'm not too familiar with Avid (i've used it but it's been a while), but I know two major reasons why Premiere Pro in particular is making headlines right now, aside from better performance:

1. Many FCP users already have it, since they used Photoshop, After Effects, and Illustrator with FCP and bought the Adobe production bundle to get a better price on all of them- and with the bundle they got Premiere Pro as well. So they've been able to try it without having to pay for it or download it or anything. I've seen several accounts of people who "clicked on that purple square that's been on their desktop this whole time".

2. Without any 3rd-party plugins, it can open FCP7 projects via XML (Something FCPX can't even do), and it works very well from what I've seen.

This whole thing would have gone much better if Apple had modernized FCP7 before they started down the new paradigm road. Then there would have been a much smoother transition. FCPX would have gotten a much better reception if there was a 64-bit FCP 8 for people to use while they get used to Apple's new approach.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]