APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Harlan
Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 6:54:27 pm

Gareth, when people say they are going to jump, it doesn't generally mean right this second. What it means is they are going to transition. Since FCP X is essentially a new piece of software, with its own learning curve attached, and not an evolutionary development, many FCP editors find themselves at a junction. FCS 3 has been EOLed, and they are aware that any direction they turn for future development will require a learning curve. It takes a while to build up muscle memory (i.e., not consciously thinking about processes or keyboard short cuts), so a change like the introduction of FCP X becomes a time of critical evaluation, and all of the arguments going on on this site are part of that evaluation. It is also, where I work in Los Angeles, a community discussion because we are not islands here, but very interdependent. Everyone in the FCP community here in LA is trying to figure out where everyone else is going to be in 2 years.

Right now it is pretty clear to me that here we will all be on Avid with Premiere as a chaser, meaning that we will build up our muscle memory on Avid but know how to use Premiere. That doesn't mean that I'm not using FCS 3 to cut today, or that I won't continue to do so for the rest of the year and into the next. Or that I won't keep an eye on X. It is a time for decisions, though, and I have already begun re-uping my Avid skills (something I should have been doing for the last few years, anyway, but have been too lazy.)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]