APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Petros Kolyvas
Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 6:48:21 pm

[Gareth Randall] "Is it because they didn't like FCP7 and were only sticking with it because of what they thought the next generation of the app would provide?"

I can only speak for myself and our small shop, but it's not that we didn't like FCP7, it's just that if we had the choice between a Revolution (which at this time won't work with any of our monitoring hardware or control surfaces) or an evolution that finally allowed FCP to address more memory (part of the 64-bit package), have better multi-threading/multi-cpu support (IE take advantage of the hardware more efficiently) along with a few tweaks and updates, we'd take the later.

I also think it's reasonable to assume that over time - as many have said - FCPX will begin to develop support for all that 3rd party stuff. It's still hot from the oven - and it's only the first batch to boot.

However, CS5/CS5.5 is running a 64-bit engine (that's very very fast) and can take advantage of large amounts of RAM (again to speed-up workflow) right now. It has also be able to edit many formats natively for some time. Finally, it also supports a fair amount of monitoring hardware - even if control surface support is lacking. We've been using CS5 alongside FCP7 for almost a year now and no client has ever cared if their project was "edited" on one or the other.

There's still a lot we like about FCP7. It's just that there's as much to like about Adobe's products.

And, as Gary mentioned, with all the promotional pricing, we're planing on trying out MC5.5 too. In fact, FCPX and its advantages or disadvantages aside, it continues to be an exciting time for those involved in media production.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]