APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bruce Allen
Re: Why the urgency to jump to Avid/Adobe RIGHT NOW?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 6:38:17 pm

"I can't help wondering: if FCPX had actually been nothing more than a 64-bit rewrite of FCP7 (i.e. no substantive new features), would there still be as many people shouting that they're going to abandon ship?"

Personally, no, I wouldn't be abandoning ship in that case.

The big change for me the surprise that Apple told us that they don't intend to add full support for loading old projects.

This was a real shock because with software, generally if the software has the same name, it can load the old projects. Heck they even strung us along at NAB - "Here's our old project in FCP 7 - and here it is in FCP X. Look how neat it is!"

So, a month ago, folks were working in FCP 7, assuming that any new projects they started in it would migrate. Now that changed.

My particular projects go on for a *long time*. There is no way in hell I am starting a new project that might go on for years in an editing software that got EOL'ed.

If OS X wasn't able to read anything created in OS 9, then the same thing would have happened - folks would have jumped ship to Windows / Linux. You couldn't have responsibly started new projects in OS 9 if you know that your stuff isn't going to load.

I think that if Apple had said at NAB "hey we're releasing a new app that has no plans to load your old FCP projects" folks would have looked into jumping ship then. But instead they kept this secret until now - and now that folks have found out, they're jumping ship.

Bruce Allen
http://www.boacinema.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]