APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Top 10 Dying industries...

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Suszko
Re: Top 10 Dying industries...
on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:12:38 pm

I'm pretty skeptical of several of that source's conclusions about not only our industry, but a couple of others. Rarely is a story like this as cut-and-dried as this one makes out. Sure, the economy put a dent in new home starts because it is financially prudent to pick up a deal on an existing home today. However, to say this dooms all manufactured housing is a reckless assumption. They may only be looking at one segment of that market, and not too closely. The DWELL magazine I like to drool over every couple of weeks is packed with ads for... Manufactured Housing. And we're not talking low-rent Katrina FEMA trailers. These are very striking and unique custom-designed high-tech, high-dollar modular modern /contemporary styled homes, built in the factory and assembled on-site, for RICH PEOPLE. Why? Because they want non-standard, unique new construction with these high-style features, and the factory-built, location-assembled manufactured home lets them afford new construction for the same price, or less than, buying an existing home and remodeling that. So how does THAT fit into IBIS' predictive thinking?

And I know diddly about the housing business. Arguably, I should know a little bit more about the video business. Looking over that "report", it is not at all comprehensive and looks and feels like the conclusions drawn by an undergrad for a 5-page paper he or she rushed thru in a weekend. They seem to try to lump every kind of video operation into a catch-all category and then pick just one representative of that category to stand in for it all. Like using Fiat America to stand for all US car makers.

And they want to charge you for this "business intelligence"?

I'm missing an easy gig, it seems.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]