APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.
on May 3, 2020 at 8:52:28 pm

[David Cherniack] "AFAIK it had all to do with playback...which was why it was called a playback engine. It worked in the first 64 bit build of PrPro as I recall. GPU acceleration worked with some effects, not with the actual decode of the codecs during playback..."

That was also my recollection. MPE was a catch-all term for numerous performance enhancements to the playback engine, including improved multi-threading, 64-bits, and GPU-accelerated effects. Initially only some effects were GPU-accelerated but the entire playback engine felt fast. Adobe obviously had done a lot of profiling work to optimize decode-oriented code paths.

The Premiere intro video still on Adobe's web site today describes it as allowing "editors to work with 4k and beyond, without time-consuming transcoding", and "never needing to render until your work is complete": https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/what-is-premiere-pro-cc.html?se...

Back in the DV and 1080p H264 days, CS5/CS6 did seem very fast on period Windows machines. The ability to edit compressed native camera formats with good performance and without transcoding was impressive - it wasn't just an advertising slogan.

That raises the question, over time did the other NLEs get disproportionately faster on newer hardware generations or was Premiere not that fast back then but the other NLEs were even slower?

I recollect CS5 as seeming very fast. However when I recently inherited a cross-NLE project and had to concurrently run Resolve 16, Premiere 14 and FCPX 10.4.8 on my 10-core Vega 64 iMac Pro, FCPX felt super fast, Resolve felt nearly that fast, and Premiere seemed very laggy and sluggish.

I think some of it is just aesthetic - the FCPX skimmer is hyper-responsive and Resolve 16 is similar. But that doesn't necessarily make you edit faster. There's a difference between feeling fast vs producing more completed work fast.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]