APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.
on May 3, 2020 at 3:04:27 pm

[Joe Marler] "Oliver, could you clarify this? While there are some major FCPX re-link issues, in general the above case works for me "

The original edit was done from media on shared storage. Library on a local machine and media left in place. These files were archived onto different archive drives. That's because the media isn't associated with one single project. So the library and various media files are on several different drives. In order to make the necessary revisions at home, I have to copy all of these pieces (media and library) back onto single larger RAID. So obviously in that process, paths and volume names have all changed. Filenames are unique.

When I launch the FCPX library it starts to search for files, first going for the nonexistent volume in the path name. It just sits searching and searching. When it finally (minutes later) lets me point it to the new volume it goes back into a long searching mode again before I can actually point it to the correct file.

It would be a very simple fix (IMHO) to add a "manual searching" function that let you point to a place for it to start searching, like you can for individual files once you are in the library.

In the same situation in Premiere, when it can't initially find the media on launch, it quickly pops up the relink dialogue and you navigate to the new files and hit locate. Then all files in a relative path are immediately relinked and you are ready to go. The only slowdown is that waiting for caching to be completed, since no caches have yet been built. Fast for a project with a few assets. Longer for a project with hundreds of assets.

In my case for this project, I only needed to fix one timeline. So I canceled the search and let it load with media offline. Then relinked the few individual files in that sequence.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]