APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.
on May 2, 2020 at 5:32:41 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Indeed it does. It’s the only one that works"

You are correct, the auto-relink based on inode is very slick but it only works within a single disk volume.

There are some cases where manual relink to externally-generated or transcoded files fails. It works with Sony XAVC-S .mp4 files, RED camera-generated proxies and others. It fails with MXF files and some old AVI DVC material I tested - even IF using proxies generated by FCPX itself and copied externally.

The reason seems to be a difference in audio metadata. Either the audio data in the original files is not written correctly or FCPX is simply mis-handling the audio in the transcoded file, or mis-handling the check itself. In some cases it inappropriately fails. Using Invisor's side-by-side comparison I can see some parameters of the audio are different between the original file and the proxy generated by FCPX - just blank in some fields.

In my MXF and AVI test files the audio plays OK in both original and transcoded files but during the relink FCPX complains "Incompatible file - the original file had audio, but the new file doesn't". The transcoded file has audio and it plays OK.

That's not a feature deficiency, it's just a bug. It should work.

I've also seen cases where media imported within an FCPX managed library will not allow relink to the original offloaded file, except one at a time. In this case it's not re-wrapped, the file was just copied to the library and renamed by FCPX during import.

Unfortunately the media file header is not composed of neat alphanumeric fields that you could easily tweak with a hex editor but includes complex, conditionally-encoded binary values: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/QuickTime/QTFF/QT...

There is another half-implemented undocumented feature that indicates Apple has worked on this but not to completion: You can move media files to a new drive then create Finder aliases via OPT+CMD drag and copy those to the symlink folder within the library, and usually FCPX will re-read those and generate updated symlinks. But it doesn't always work.

Everybody complaining about this is correct -- this entire area needs a lot of work. Unfortunately both Apple and much of the FCPX community places a lot of emphasis on visible user-facing features, but there are poorly implemented system-facing issues that need major work.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]