APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

What are we missing without NAB?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
What are we missing without NAB?
on May 2, 2020 at 2:40:13 pm

I realize the NAB hasn't done its online road show yet, but I haven't seen or heard of any big announcements from manufacturers.

We've all talked about the "community" aspect of NAB, but we are ignoring the fact that it's a venue for manufacturers to generate excitement about "the next big thing." Want to get the industry jazzed about HDR, 8K, 18K, stereo 3D (well, not that) or something like that? You are going to do that with a big splash on the show floor, not through a bunch on online "influencers" trying to show you that through your internet browser. That's a leveling factor.

Maybe this year would have been a down year anyway. Or maybe manufacturers are holding off in hopes that IBC will still happen and they can make a somewhat smaller yet meaningful splash there.

In a way I'm glad, because it gives us a year to breath without being pressured to buy or upgrade things we don't need. Our clients follow the trade press, too, so when NAB pushes 8K (or insert anything here), clients start to ask, why aren't you shooting 8K? Even though they are lucky to even deliver in 1080. Given the economy, sales will certainly be down for most manufacturers (except those with remote production products and services).

In terms of what I've seen so far, Sony and Canon have made a few new camera and update announcements. But no one has adopted ProRes RAW for onboard camera recording, which I presume means that RED's patents are pretty solid. A few odds and ends and little boxes for streaming, output to 8K displays, etc. Not a lot else that affects post.

One thing I miss about not walking the aisles at NAB would have been an assessment of how many manufacturers would have been using new Mac Pros in their booths. That's often a good gauge of potential success of hardware products. And a way to judge MP performance outside of an Apple-controlled venue.

Of course, Apple stopped doing NAB years ago, however, FCPX releases have often been timed close to NAB, which has allowed for some off-site previews. Not going to happen this year, which may mean the ProApps team has a little less pressure on them. Unless of course, the FCPX on iPadOS speculation turns out to be true ☺

BMD has done a good job of new Resolve releases close to NAB and that front has been silent, as well.

So I do feel like a world without trade shows is actually a net negative when it comes to advancing cutting edge technology. And maybe for us - like it or not - that's a good thing.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]