APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.
on May 2, 2020 at 2:08:53 pm

[Tom Sefton] "Gahhhhhh you can’t be serious."

I'm absolutely serious. There are plenty of ways to make comparisons that skew one way or the other. There are certainly cases where I feel FCPX is a better fit. But it's not the universal solution for me.

I have two main issues with FCPX. The UI is "sticky" - meaning every action - to click on something - takes a split second longer that in Premiere, where it's largely instant. Relinking is the second. I've taken home media from archive drives to WFH. The FCPX Library linking is based on the shared storage locations at the office. I have had to move assets from multiple drives onto a single RAID, so paths are completely a mess. Relinking in FCPX is nearly impossible. Premiere - I can point to the new locations and I'm good to go.

I don't work with a new Mac Pro. I don't have enough media in any given project that would benefit from an Afterburner card. So that's a non-issue for me and will be for a while to come.

Audio mixing on complex jobs in FCPX? A complete mess with multiple compounds, because there is no track-based mixer or roles-based mixer. Can you do it? Sure. But not in a way that's conducive to any normal way of mixing. For example, change a filter on a clip, which is buried inside a compound with more effects on the role - all while still listening to the effect through a compressor on the master output? Easy in Premiere with track, submaster, and master tracks/buses. Not possible in FCPX.

[Tom Sefton] "I know it’s another string to your bow as an editor, but how has premiere seemingly got worse than resolve?"

I didn't say that it was. But in terms of the editor UI - I feel Premiere is a better editor. I'm also not fond of the database method for project files used by Resolve. Trimming is the biggest issue for me in Resolve and J-cut/L-cut trimming with embedded audio isn't possible yet in the cut page.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]