APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.
on May 2, 2020 at 1:28:24 pm

[Joe Marler] "I just imported several MXF files using "leave files in place", shut down FCPX, renamed each file, moved each file to a new subfolder, then deleted the symlinks in the library which pointed to those files, and upon re-launching FCPX it automatically relinked them instantly and re-created the symlinks to the new locations and filenames."

Sure but that doesn’t help when you need to link to transcoded material.

It’s not about linking to the same files, it’s about linking to different files with the same characteristics (audio channels, tc, length) but different file extensions.

So if do you the same test, but transcode those files mov or mp4 first, you will not get fcpx to automatically link to anything but the original media (whether it's renamed or not).

Or, do an even easier test, Optimize the media and try to relink the MXF file to the folder of .movs created by FCPX automatically. It won't happen, you will only be able to relink one by one pointing fcpx at the exact file you are trying to link to. And doing that with the FCPX interface is extremely time consuming. So FCPX can't even link to the .mov media it creates from the master MXF files, which to me, makes exactly zero sense.

I cannot distribute the 50TBs of media on our server remotely and by staying at home (of which Chicago is on lockdown until at least the end of this month, and I would imagine it will get extended since the COVID infection numbers aren't going down), but I could do it if we could use proxy files. The ability to relink from other file formats to other file formats would be most welcome. So while, yes, inode linking can work, it only works in a very specific use case.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]