APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Marler
Re: Back to Premiere. sigh.
on May 1, 2020 at 6:43:19 pm

[Tom Sefton] "all feel like the keyboard has been covered with treacle"

Premiere has actually gotten much faster at a few things like H264 export. It is currently much faster than FCPX at 10-bit HEVC export, so it's not slower on every single thing.

But on the "high touch" and "common path" UI interactions (e.g. viewer update rate and lag time on JKL input) it can be quite sluggish, at least when tested on identical Mac hardware vs FCPX and Resolve. It is worse with some codecs than others.

When testing 4k 10-bit 4:2:2 400 mbps H264 All-I from a GH5, I examined the viewer (aka program monitor) update rate on a 10-core Vega 64 iMac Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 when fast forwarding at 4x speed in the timeline, with Premiere set on 1/4 resolution and the FCPX viewer on "better performance". I don't remember how I configured Resolve but it wasn't anything special. This was done by shooting the screen during 4x FF with a camera at 240 fps and counting real-world update rate.

Resolve Studio 16.1.0.055: 28 frames/sec
FCPX 10.4.7: 20 frames/sec
Premiere Pro 13.1.5: 2 frames/sec

Some performance differences can vary based on minor things. Even though the above test showed Resolve had a quicker viewer update rate than FCPX, this was only during continuous playback. If you grabbed the playhead and moved it back and forth, FCPX was faster.

It's ironic the Premiere playback engine is code-named Mercury. It's like having a pet turtle named "Lightning".

Years ago a database called FoxBase was famous for being super fast. The CEO would walk among his developers with a stopwatch on a lanyard around his neck and demand impromptu timed performance tests of their code. I suppose nobody at Adobe has ever done that.

Before Resolve got so fast, you could claim that FCPX was single-platform and their performance advantage derived mostly from that. However Resolve is multi-platform and it has become a real speed demon, but in general interactive use FCPX is still a little more responsive.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]