APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Seriously though: New Mac or carry on with maxed out 5.1 Tower

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: Seriously though: New Mac or carry on with maxed out 5.1 Tower
on Apr 25, 2020 at 8:25:37 pm

[Terry Flaxton] "All the outboard storage I have - around 90tb of it is esata so there is a reason to keep one machine going at the old level."

I don't know what kind of speed your are getting with the 6GB/s eSata raids but I doubt it's anywhere close to what you can get with Thblt 3 at 40GB/s. I'm doing 2500 MBs with an 8 bay raid 5 and you can go even faster with an SSD raid. I do a lot of multicam editing and disk speed is essential for me.

[Terry Flaxton] "So: "performance of GFX card upgrades": are you talking about assisting the cores in their work? "

Modern NLE's offload alot of work to the GFX card's GPU instead of solely using the CPU cores. Each NLE is different in how they leverage the GPU ( I use Ppro ) but better GPU equals better performance. The available GFX cards for the 2019 Mac Pro are an order of magnitude better thanthe 580x which is available as the base model. A magnitude higher cost as well.

[Terry Flaxton] " how many cores is relevant? I have 12 at the moment so how many would make that shift impossible not to do? 16 or even 24 maybe?"

You would have to look up the best CPU for the NLE you use. The sweet spot in "bang for the buck" seems to be either 12 or 16 cores. YMMV.

[Terry Flaxton] "And with Catalina as opposed to Mojave (because I can upgrade to Catalina easily enough with the 5.1) so I'll have three OSX's working on the same machine at different points) what exactly is that going to give currently? (I get it that it's a future upgrade situation that is the main selling point)."

The future upgrade aspect is the only reason to be interested in Catalina at the moment. I can't think of one advantage in terms of daily use at this point. As a side note you are not going to be able to run Mojave and Sierra on the 2019 Mac Pro unless you have advanced programming chops. As far as Apple is concerned nothing earlier than Catalina can run the 2019.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]