APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Seriously though: New Mac or carry on with maxed out 5.1 Tower

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Terry Flaxton
Re: Seriously though: New Mac or carry on with maxed out 5.1 Tower
on Apr 25, 2020 at 3:06:39 pm

Herb - I should say I'm pretty convinced I'll go to a new mac shortly - mainly because of the background architecture and I can see in the next year going up to 8k for what I do (because the market I work for is requiring that). All the outboard storage I have - around 90tb of it is esata so there is a reason to keep one machine going at the old level. I've been migrating since 1976 onwards - effectively leapfrogging by having a set of working macs in various OSX's - and it's always a question of when to reinvest. I have a mac museum.

So: "performance of GFX card upgrades": are you talking about assisting the cores in their work? And how many cores is relevant? I have 12 at the moment so how many would make that shift impossible not to do? 16 or even 24 maybe?

And with Catalina as opposed to Mojave (because I can upgrade to Catalina easily enough with the 5.1) so I'll have three OSX's working on the same machine at different points) what exactly is that going to give currently? (I get it that it's a future upgrade situation that is the main selling point).

This one strand has given me 1000 mbs extra on a drive due to my own stuck in a box mentality (and thanks Patrick) so thanks to everyone here for responding.

Made my first video in 1976, A long term programme maker, DP, editing etc - changing with AR/VR/MR media -

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]