APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Seriously though: New Mac or carry on with maxed out 5.1 Tower

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Terry Flaxton
Seriously though: New Mac or carry on with maxed out 5.1 Tower
on Apr 24, 2020 at 4:05:13 pm

So I ran with the 2012 5.1 tower I had rather than buying the new mac and I'm still wondering whether to cross over. The money is not an issue now (regardless of the pound dollar relationship which has us Brits paying through the nose) - the issue is whether or not it really does that much more - read below what a maxed out 5.1 does and tell me honestly how can I benefit (if you wouldn't mind).

So I have a 12 core with 128 ram, maxed it out with a 4 terrabyte OWC drive which would do (so they say) 6000 mbs read and write on a new mac but only makes about 1300 read and write on a 5.1 - I run Mojave from two different SSD one OWC accelsior one anglebird boot drives and Sierra from a 3rd old style if I need go back a generation for anything

- but it appears I can do anything I want now: I always use about 6 layers of 4k (sometimes 10 layers before stuttering happens) - I find that although esata in and out was not supposed to work on Mojave - it still does - amazing! (I found this out after buying variations of cards to get a fast USB in - they always crashed the tower, the accelsior has two esata's in but that don't work and always was a problem). FCP is as stable as - and today for instance I've done around 100 point gash matte work for about 2 hours before it just crashes through boredom (I'm definitely bored and the crash snaps me out of zombie mode).

So my big and very serious question now is: if I can do anything I want - why would I buy a new mac? One downside is waiting for a 4 min 4k with loads of layers and distortions and manipulations and colour grading on each layer and all the rest which will take about an hour to transcode and an hour to upload to Vimeo ( we have about 70 mbs in the sticks in the UK but it's the transcode that's taking the time)... SO: Will the new mac (and what number of cores and set up) make this move necessary? and I mean by necessary a lot faster - Or is it the same old same old and only a marginal increase of computing power when it really comes down to it (because in reality they've concentrated on the plumbing in to apparently speed the kit up). So I'm also asking with regard Motion - or Maya come to that as I realise I need make more 3D stuff.

Made my first video in 1976, A long term programme maker, DP, editing etc - changing with AR/VR/MR media -

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]