APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Catalina issues?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jim Curtis
Re: Catalina issues?
on Apr 19, 2020 at 8:27:46 pm

[Craig Alan] "Does using Migration Assistant still keep the update clean?"

There are options in Migration Assistant. As long as you only choose User > Documents, and avoid everything else, your clean install will more or less stay that way.

That's what I did with my new MacPro, and it worked out OK. I reported frequent reboots after I first got my new computer, but the frequency of them has reduced significantly. But, that was 10.15.2, and 10.15.4 is the current build.

If you migrate the entirety of the User folder, that will copy over a User Library, and that could contain remnants of your previous OS that you'd rather not bork your new installation.

BTW, last week I saw a "Supplemental" update was available to 10.15.4 that kept the version at 10.15.4. I cloned my drive with SuperDuper, then ran the update. Then, my Red Giant plug-ins became unlicensed, and the RG App Manager app would crash every time I tried to launch it - meaning, I could no longer use my licensed RG effects.

That was unacceptable, so I used my clone to revert back to the prior OS build, and I'm back in business. The potential problem users have now with upgrading is that they have no choice than to update to this "Supplemental" build. I don't know if Red Giant has addressed this yet, or whether this issue is universal, but be forewarned.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro7,1 24-core - 256 GB RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB - 10.15.4 (Warning: Don't do the Supplemental Update!)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]