APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Catalina issues?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Patrick Sheppard
Re: Catalina issues?
on Apr 17, 2020 at 4:51:27 pm

Craig,

Per this article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475
...you can upgrade to Catalina from as far back as Mavericks

--- AND ---

Per this article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190
...you can upgrade to Mojave from as far back as Mountain Lion

So you can upgrade to either Catalina or Mojave from Sierra. But note that either option will convert your Sierra boot drive to APFS, and update your Mac's firmware, prior to installation of the OS.

Be sure to make a full bootable backup of your Sierra boot drive before doing the upgrade. Carbon Copy Cloner works well and is my preferred method. I've not yet used Time Machine enough to know it's capability, but many people seem to like and use it.

Also be advised that if you upgrade to Catalina and decide you want to install Mojave instead, you may encounter a Catalina firmware/Mojave OS installer compatibility issue that would prevent you from installing Mojave. So you may want to upgrade to Mojave, which according to what I've read has been overall a lot more stable for people than Catalina. Then you'll still have the option to upgrade to Catalina and beyond.

Per my previous post above, yes, do a clean install. My process was to clean install on a freshly formatted external drive, then use Migration Assistant to copy user data files and settings from the internal drive to the external drive, then boot from the newly created external drive, then reformat the internal drive, then use Carbon Copy Cloner VERSION 5 to clone the new external drive to the internal drive. Carbon Copy Cloner can create a full bootable clone of the new boot drive while booted from it. The software just needs certain permissions to access the entire disk and will guide you with visual prompts on how to do that. It's very easy to setup.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]