APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Catalina issues?

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Patrick Sheppard
Re: Catalina issues?
on Apr 15, 2020 at 3:03:45 pm

Craig,

I've read differing opinions about whether to upgrade to Mojave or Catalina. I recently fixed an OS issue on a 2015 iMac that belongs to a friend, and that computer has Catalina installed. I actually wanted to do a clean install of Mojave since I had read a lot of bad things about Catalina, but I was unable to install Mojave because of what I believe was an incompatibility between Mojave and a firmware update from the previous Catalina installation. So I ended up doing a clean install of Catalina on an external drive, and then used Migration Assistant to move all of the files from the internal drive to the external drive. Once that was complete and I verified that all of the files migrated successfully, I reformatted the iMac's internal drive and then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the fresh OS install on the external drive to the iMac's internal drive. It has been working flawlessly since then.

(A note about Carbon Copy Cloner: You HAVE to use version 5 to clone to an APFS-formatted drive. Mojave and above require APFS.)

As for upgrading your 2015 iMac vs. buying a new Mac, part of that depends on the ratio of cost to performance increase, aka "the most bang for your buck". For example, will you see a significant enough increase in performance by upgrading the internal drive to an SSD and maybe adding more RAM? (40GB of RAM is already a fairly healthy amount, but I assume the iMac's internal drive is a conventional "platter" hard drive which is much slower than an SSD.) If so, then upgrading would cost a small fraction of the amount of a new Mac, and with a 2015 iMac you'll still be able to update macOS for at least another 2-3 years and enjoy improved overall performance during that time.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]