APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: COVID-related internet throttling

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Darby Edelen
Re: COVID-related internet throttling
on Apr 7, 2020 at 3:09:09 am

[Bob Zelin] "But there is only one "next big thing" - the pipeline, that needs to be run by the cable companies. I cannot ever conceive that the current owners (Spectrum, Comcast, Cox, RCN, AT&T, etc.) will ever do this. You need someone with a vested long term interest (like Amazon, Google, Apple) that is willing to buy these companies out, or pay off whoever needs to get paid off, so they can run fiber lines - not into people's homes, but into businesses that are willing to pay for it (which is probably everyone). "

Things happened like this here but upside-down ☺

We have a great little local ISP that partnered with our city to work on building out fiber across town. They started downtown and are looking to expand neighborhood by neighborhood.

In a twist from what you've described I believe AT&T felt threatened by this and saw an opportunity to grab the market by firing the money cannon. I'm not sure when the decision was made to do it but AT&T rolled fiber down our street over a matter of weeks. I felt a bit guilty going with AT&T but the local ISP likely won't be ready to provide fiber to my house anytime in the next 3 years.

So in the end it was Comcast that lost out. I pay less now for service that is 5x faster down and 80x faster up than what I had from Comcast. When fiber is available from my local ISP I hope to make the switch but in the meantime I'm a bit flabbergasted by the value AT&T is offering in this case. That's not something I'm used to from Ma Bell.

Darby Edelen

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]