APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: COVID-related internet throttling

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: COVID-related internet throttling
on Apr 6, 2020 at 10:03:37 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[Bob Zelin] "As for 5G ? Well - Tim can tell us about that more than anyone else now. But of course, that won't be the ultimate solution for what we are talking about."

Remember, the "sales pitch" for 5G is all about IoT - "smart homes," self-driving cars, etc. What sort of bandwidth draw is that going to be?"

That was exactly my point in...this thread? Another thread? I don't remember. LOL But yeah, 5G isn't for anything we're talking about. Even for mobile, it's not going to be many places, and when it arrives, for many people it will be SLOWER than 4G. Not forever, but remember when 3G and 4G first showed up? Same deal. Started slower than the thing they were replacing, because by definition of early maps, more people were on the fringe of new coverage and it was flaky, where their old coverage may have been slow, but it was predictable.

What we need is all about the pipe to our homes, offices, home offices, etc.

[Tom Sefton] "If nothing else will be examined after this worldwide event by the most hard nosed bean counter for a post production house, the justification for renting a large facility with space for multiple edit suites is number 1."

That's also what I was talking about just above. It's not that the tsunami that took out Sony's HDCAM manufacturing ENDED tape. It accelerated the end, though, by a LOT. It's not that the writer's strike ENDED scripted programming in prime time. It's easy to make the case that the scripted programming since then is generally better, and there really HAVE been some scripted TV shared experiences of a breadth that was supposed to be over -- but Mark R. at Bunim/Murray, or anybody who still has a TV, can tell you that the balance irrevocably shifted toward unscripted, and it may never tilt back. Certainly hasn't in the intervening dozen years.

There will absolutely be A return to "normal", but there will be other NEW normals that won't look like anything like this. Yes, the nature of this and similar threads here is that we're lamenting this, or fretting, or speculating or what have you, because we're all way, way downstream from where a lot of these decisions will be made. But there will be bean counters and other bosses who'll be looking to the folks on this thread who are actually working on this stuff (eg, not me) for advice. The more advice we have to share with each other, the better-informed these decisions will be for all of us.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]