APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: COVID-related internet throttling

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: COVID-related internet throttling
on Apr 6, 2020 at 7:17:56 pm

[Oliver Peters] "You seem to be suggesting that remote workflows are here to stay as the norm."

"Here to stay" and "the norm" are two separate things with no conflict whatsoever. Everybody, and I mean everybody, had built workflows that were "ready for anything that we'd need to deal with." Guess what? That generally didn't include this, and now it's going to have to.

It's a matter of perspective. When I lived in the Florida Keys, we didn't consider a file truly backed up unless it was stored higher than the 100 year flood level (11 feet, which was harder to accomplish than most people think), and accessible if there was no power and the sherriff had set all the traffic going one way, out of town, which means it had to be north if me That may sound ridiculous, but I needed to access files exactly this way every couple of years, and one year, had to do it twice. I stayed in business when other colleagues had to leave the business altogether.

That's where we are now. Yes, creativity is collaborative. Yes, we'll go back to how we did things a couple of months ago at the earliest possible opportunity. If history teaches its anything, we know that some of our friends and loved ones will die because they go back too quickly.

But in no circumstances will we go all three way back, with never a thought again to even one member of the team working offsite. The future will include more of both, in spades.

My worry isn't necessarily that we won't crack this nut. It's that bosses WILL figure it out, and find a way to make our lives more miserable as a result. It's already hard enough to unplug from email. Soon you'll take a sick day and the boss will remind you that you spent half of 2020 working in your pajamas, so don't even thinking of pushing out that deadline just because you have the "regular" flu.

Look, it's no different then a flood in New York City, which so many people said was never gonna happen, or an earthquake that crushes a bridge between San Francisco and Oakland, ditto, or a tsunami that takes out HD tape production, or a ridiculous low speed chase and subsequent trial that pretty much puts an end to daytime soap operas in the English-speaking world. Nobody in our business was planning for those events in advance, but everybody in our business came up with a plan afterward.

Floodwaters recede, we accelerate the move to tapeless, transition to reality TV, we keep rolling because that's what we do.

What we're doing here is continue a conversation on a thread that you started. LOL too late to decide you don't want to talk about it.

And seriously, if there's or facility anywhere in this country who's not already actively working on a plan for what happens if current conditions continue, or what to do when it happens again, or when some other crazy unexpected thing disrupts production… you just don't get to call it unexpected anymore.

Disruptions are pretty much becoming more common than not, aren't they? LOL Anybody not getting their cows in a row by now, I know that Bob is ready to put an end to social distancing, and I'm sure he will be only too happy to show up at your place with a baseball bat and show you everything you need to know about disruption, and tell you everything hes been learning about remote workflows so that no kid half his age will replace him because they've been thinking about this stuff and he hasn't. He has, RIGHT BOB?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]