APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: COVID-related internet throttling

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: COVID-related internet throttling
on Apr 6, 2020 at 5:19:53 pm

[Bob Zelin] "so with your wonderful fast 1G internet connection, are you downloading the full resolution
video media from your server, or production companies footage, and editing this media ?"

And if he was trying to edit full resolution files remotely, I can only imagine the poetically hyperbolic abuse you'd be hurling at him. "Don't you know about ProRes? Don't you know about proxy workflows?" Only with a lot more punctuation and all caps. 🤣

I know for geezers like you and me, Bob, it wasn't that long ago that uncompressed was the Holy Grail. Shoot uncompressed, edit uncompressed, maximum quality, simple workflow, nothing could be easier or better. Until it wasn't. LOL Forget about camera compressed HD. Along comes Avid with DNxHD right after thre turn off the century, cue Apple guys laughing at the absurdity of cinema quality compressed workflow, delivery, and archiving until along comes ProRes four years after that, and nowadays, uncompressed doesn't look quaint or quirky or romantic like shooting film. It looks like you don't know what you're doing.

Even RAW is hardly RAW the way we originally understood it. And sure, you CAN edit 8K RAW, but apart from a demo at some already fossilized future trade show, why would you? There's certainly no reason to insist in these (hopefully) unusual circumstances that this is the only right way to edit, or even the most desirable one if you could.

I think we've acknowledged that there may come a time when one socially isolated individual needs to make his or her way to the office to push a couple of buttons to relink the full res media and send it on its way... but it appears that as long as the media is actually mounted somewhere, even that may be less necessary than we thought just a few weeks ago.

So for you folks who are actually managing these kinds of remote workflows, we've talked about products and platforms, but how does full res media enter into the picture? Does it?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]