APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: COVID-related internet throttling

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: COVID-related internet throttling
on Apr 6, 2020 at 9:00:08 am

As this story keeps twisting, Techcrunch raised the typically optimistic (and typically naive, I fear) notion that the current conditions may force (force? really?) ISPs to lift data caps forever. If they can lift data caps temporarily and nobody really suffers for it, they'll be the ones pointing at their own emperor's lack of clothes -- the idea of "bad actors" sucking up the broadband and forcing the rest of us to slow down turns out to be less than a straw man and more of a flat-out lie.

Exuberance notwithstanding, a provocative read as he makes the case that there's just no need for the caps that most of us had taken for granted: Coronavirus could force ISPs to abandon data caps forever

The larger issue for most of us isn't the amount of data we pull down as the limits we face on download speed. The article makes an interesting case about how far down the shell game continues. Comcast has a gigabit plan for some folks, but it also comes with a 1TB data cap -- which you'd blow through in three hours of top speed, give or take. After that, penalties come in, and speeds go down.

That's my math, but I wonder if any of you are on this plan? Or any kind of truly high-speed connection? Definitely not me.

And fwiw, here's a rundown of the major ISPs who are, and aren't, lifting caps. I discovered that mine didn't have a cap, but they're offering free broadband to households with students who don't already have access, and they're throwing in a couple of weeks of Showtime and EPIX for everyone. Sure, thanks. Totally makes up for the slow, spotty service.

Anyway, now that we're another couple of weeks along from where this conversation began, how's your internet doing?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]