APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Working from home

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

greg janza
Re: Working from home
on Apr 4, 2020 at 8:36:12 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Can you tell us a little more about where you are, what kinds of speeds you get, and the kinds of things that you're doing with Resilio? I think we all have a lot more to learn about the difference between what's on a company's website, and how it's working for customers in the world.
"

I'm no expert on Resilio but I have used it quite a bit. In my home studio I have two 12 terabyte raids in a raid 0 configuration so the second raid is simply a mirror. I researched a fair number of utility programs that would keep both raids in perfect sync and I found that Resilio was the best solution for me. It's also very reasonably priced. And for those who haven't heard of it, Resilio is the legitimate business application of what was previously BitTorrent sync.

The best way to think about it is a continually running backup program that operates as a background process. For awhile I had two edit systems and so the two raids were being mirrored through a private ethernet network. I would guess I was getting around 100 MBPS transfer speed. I've added a laptop edit system which I sometimes use one of the raids with and so Resilio then works wifi only and I would estimate around 10MBPS transfer speed.

The key here isn't speed obviously. It's not impressively fast but it's strength is in syncing with local hosts and more importantly remote hosts. Cloud applications like Frame.io have gotten the lion share of attention with all of the features that are offered and the simplicity of a web based client management platform. Resilio's strength is that it has no data usage limitations. I would think the only limitation would be if your ISP has monthly data caps.

There's also Resilio Connect which is their scalable remote data access app. This is enterprise level and I haven't tried it out personally but it looks to be tailored for remote media work with a centralized media server.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]