APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: BMD Camera and ATEM News

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: BMD Camera and ATEM News
on Apr 4, 2020 at 5:38:46 pm

[Oliver Peters] " So he'll try things that may or may not work perfectly - an absolute no-no in a standard product demo. "

Yeah, the standard demo would be something like already having the YT streaming key in hand, so there's no dependency on YT actually delivering it to you, or having all the cameras plugged into a powered-up device. It's wonderful that by being less slick, he's actually more persuasive. You now know EXACTLY how long it takes to connect four cameras and power to an ATEM Mini Pro, and showing how easy it is to get a live streaming key is the kind of thing that might make someone who's never tried it before think, "Wow, I can do that."

[Michael Gissing] "I ran the whole station by myself for five hours before anyone wandered in and asked how it was going. I was 19. I see some of myself in Grant. Question everything, make it work better and most importantly more FUN."

I think a lot of us do. Like you (and me), Grant was a teenager when he first got in a control room, him in high school iirc. When we spoke to him about the DaVinci acquisition, he spoke very happily about being driven to solve the problems of that young telecine operator that he was, and doing it in ways that were better and definitely cheaper than he'd seen other people do it.

I'm also thinking of something like the Teranex acquisition. He loved their stuff, but thought it was too expensive, too big, and too loud. So he made the converters smaller, quieter, added a bunch of features, and dropped the price from $70,000 to $1300, a reduction of 98%!!!! That's all the money he needed to make from it, so that's all he was gonna sell it for. We certainly talked about it at the time, but I honestly don't think enough people either know or remember that.

Anyway, all this is why I felt it was worthwhile to talk about the presentation less formally than a real journalist (again, not me) would talk about a "proper" demo. My exuberance is an appropriate response to his. :-)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]