APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Working from home

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: Working from home
on Apr 4, 2020 at 2:59:05 am

[Michael Hoefler] "If we have to edit a confidential project we are editing it inhouse."

This is one of the things that American producers will need to wrap their heads around in the future. Or they may decide not to, because the current status is working well enough....

...but the reality is that many VFX and post houses are contractually forbidden from connecting their project machines to the internet. Access to working suites are by keycard, and only a few people have access. ALL of them need to be onsite, even if only one at a time. There's no getting around this.

Maybe that will work out well enough, but it seems unnecessary to me. It's only a movie. The world won't end if somebody sees a superhero's new leotard a couple of months ahead of schedule, but business as a usual may well be a threat the stability of the republic going forward. We're not there now, which makes this the perfect time to think about it. Why is secure VPN not secure enough? What's the new, more secure protocol that we need?

Or is the problem that these guys just need to get their heads out of their own butts and decide that remote editing is something that they can conceptually live with. The only problems MIGHT be in their heads, but I'd need some of you folks to weigh in.

I'm especially interested in your thoughts on this, Mark. I know that Bunim/Murray isn't Marvel, but you're still working with material that's worth a lot of dough to a lot of people, and you're doing it all remotely. Can you comment on the IP security management issues that you've been talking about in-house without revealing any trade secrets?

[greg janza] "I use Resilio to keep two raids mirrored and it works extremely well."

Greg, I noticed that Bob specifically mentioned Resilio as a solution that won't work for a lot of people who don't live in a good internet market. That's pretty much the only kind I've ever lived in. LOL

Can you tell us a little more about where you are, what kinds of speeds you get, and the kinds of things that you're doing with Resilio? I think we all have a lot more to learn about the difference between what's on a company's website, and how it's working for customers in the world.

And Bob, if you have examples of folks who've tried Resilio and found it wanting in their specific applications, I'd sure love to hear about that too. Details, people! We need details! 🤣

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]