APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: COVID-related internet throttling

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: COVID-related internet throttling
on Mar 23, 2020 at 5:57:37 pm

[Bob Zelin] "I could be wrong (and I usually am) - but in the same way that the old writers strike spawned reality television - this current incident could spawn the future development of real life full time remote editing."

I think you're right about this! More than full-time remote editing, though, I think of flex time remote editing. I don't know that many of us, including folks like me who've worked remotely for a long time, are thinking that most people will want or need to be able to edit from home or from a remote set location or what have you, 100% of the time. The problem is that in many circumstances, it's possible 0% of the time right now. That won't do.

I don't even know what thread this belongs on anymore since we're talking about on several of them, but in addition to the infrastructure points you raise, Bob (we need a LOT more fiber buried out there, or access to the gazillions of miles of fiber that's right now being sold only to private networks), I think that are some conceptual ones.

For example, the Visual Effects Society's Technical Committee has released a public document and inviting comments on Best Practices, and there's a lot of great stuff about products and platforms for remote collaboration for both VFX and editing for review, rendering, you name it. Many folks here will find helpful stuff in it, so take a look.

But there are studios and facilities who would no more allow VPN access to their works in progress than the man in the moon. I think it's mostly coming from studios, in that many VFX and post houses are contractually forbidden from connecting media machines to the internet, making copies, etc. But I also think that no post house wants to be identified as "leaky" if the worst happens and even a single frame escapes into the wild.

Some people at the tops of some pyramids need to agree that the world will keep spinning if we see Spider-man's new unitard a few months ahead of schedule, while also deciding that if VPN is good enough for defense departments and private industry, it's probably okay for movies and TV too. Or along with laying better fiber, creating more secure protocols than publicly available VPN-style authentication. This isn't rocket science, just regular old science. LOL People are smart. They can figure it out.

But first comes identifying it as a problem to be solved. There are bosses who just don't see it like that yet. Hopefully it won't take a bunch of people dying to change their minds. I could also imagine them saying, "Sorry, people getting sick isn't the problem we're trying to solve. We're trying to protect billions of dollars of IP and shareholder value, and if that means a few hundred post production minions have to come into the office, whaddya know, we've already solved the problem. What we're doing is working."

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]