APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob Zelin
Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?
on Mar 19, 2020 at 10:26:17 pm

Ooh - I am getting so many people riled up here !
Most of my work, and phone calls within the last few days has been on how to do remote access, so people can continue to work.

I observe that this is an opportunity to expand my knowledge about this, and get better about doing remote access for professional video editing. I am currently doing this with QNAP CloudLink, QNAP QVPN, and Synology QuickConnect, but certainly, I am seeing wonderful new developments from Studio Network Solutions NOMAD, and developments from LumaForge, ProMax and EditShare, all figuring out how to make all of this workflow a reality.
Because long after the Coronavirus is over, people will want a good workflow for remote access so they can work from home. It's a shame that the internet infrastructure in the United States is so horrible (except for Google Fiber) - but we make do with what we have. I am sure the business from Aspera and Signiant are doing just fine right now.

Teamviewer is simply too expensive for most people when it's used for professional applications, and I am RIGHT NOW studying alternate VPN solutions for remote editing, in addition to the "upload/download" process that I have been using from QNAP and Synology systems.

I am often forced to justify my life. Besides this work stuff, I go out to dinner with my wife, we have friends, I have an amateur little band that practices every Sunday just for fun, and I drink a lot of alcohol. Our main 3 week vacation for the year is based on the excuse of NAB, so it's Las Vegas and Los Angeles, and this year of course, it has been cancelled. Other than that - THIS IS WHAT I DO. I WORK, I study, I don't give up. I help people with their technical issues. I learn new techniques. I try to learn every day something new. Most people at my age (64) could not give a damn about any of these new products, new techniques, Frame I/O and all the other stuff that I think is cool. These
things mean little in their lives. Well, let them go play golf, or whatever they do. THIS IS WHAT I DO, and I intend to be good at it until I kick the bucket. When I had knee surgery back in NY City and could not take the subway to work (I was living in Queens at the time) - I hobbled onto the bus with my backpack the NEXT DAY and went to work, and took care of my clients. If I was paralyzed in a car crash, or lost limbs, I would still be doing this. I look at people who are paralyzed, and they are at the gym, or playing in basketball tournaments in their wheel chairs, or "jogging" in their wheel chairs down a long block to keep in shape - these people are HEROS. You don't give up. You don't say "whoa is me". You keep going, you keep pushing, you keep fighting, you keep learning.
I don't live in the glory days of Quad and 1" VTR's. I need to compete with that 30 year old IT guy that knows more than I do - but soon, I will know more than him, and take his clients.
That's my mindset. And it won't change, even if I get sick.

Sorry, if that's mental illness. As long as I win. And as long as we keep making videos.
Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]