APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ned Miller
Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?
on Mar 19, 2020 at 3:58:28 am

Hi All,

I've been retired about two years from the hamster wheel but I have one good tech client that gives me a very profitable couple of days a month, I can choose the dates and use my outmoded non-4K camera. I was suppose to go down and shoot at a large trade show in Atlanta March 9 & 10, I was going to drive down from Chicago and afterwards visit old friends in the SE for a week. The virus panic was just starting to get rolling but not the concern it is now.

Well, two days before the shoot the client's client backed out. Fear of the virus, or rather of the South Koreans, Italians and Japanese who were going to be exhibiting and attending. I had no other work coming in, this would have been a quick $4K profit for me. I was a little nervous about how infectious the virus is but didn't want to let my client down. I was letting my greed cloud my judgement. After freelancing for 41 years my default response is to always figure out how I can squeeze a gig in because one never knows when it will get slow.

But! And this is why I am posting, the client emailed and wanted me to do a one day shoot in TX for their client who had backed out in Atlanta, and now everyone is freaking out about getting infected. I discussed it with my wife and she started to flip out so I had to convince her how careful I would be: I'd drive down only eating my home made sandwiches from my cooler and cheese and crackers, I'd have no human contact besides the person at the desk in the hotel, I'd pump gas with the glove I now have in the car, etc. The shoot would be simple product demos, 1 engineer holding and discussing how their new gizmos work. But my wife wasn't buying it and if I did do the shoot I'd have to stay in a hotel for two weeks when I got back.

So I emailed the client, mentioned all my health issues (plus I'm 66) and begged out of the gig, fearing they would find someone new and I'd be replaced and the response I go back was that they just wanted to squeeze this project in before their fiscal year ended!!!! I suggested that I could pre-invoice them and do the job once it was safe in the new fiscal year and I am waiting to hear back. I have done that several times for marketing departments: They have to spend their entire budget or it won't be fully renewed in the next year's budget. So think about suggesting that to your clients whose fiscal year will be ending in the next few months. They may need to park that money with you upfront.

I feel for you all, that's why I visited this forum I was active on for many years, I wanted to see how you're doing. It is hard enough to survive through a regular recession let alone the uncertainty this virus creates. I think all of our clients, broadcast may be an exception, will be in survival mode for about a year or so.

Good luck, stay positive, look for unique niches like live streaming and most importantly: STAY HEALTHY!

Ned in Chicago

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]