APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shawn Miller
Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?
on Mar 18, 2020 at 10:31:58 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Mar 18, 2020 at 10:59:54 pm

I'm a staff video producer here in Seattle, WA. My company is a medium-sized B2B technology consulting firm with offices all over the globe. My workdays can vary wildly from week to week. Sometimes, I edit footage from international vendors, and sometimes I shoot materials for agencies that are working with other groups in the company. However, for most of my projects, I handle everything from shoot to finish (motion graphics, audio sweetening, color grading, etc.). I also edit a lot of self-shot videos from co-workers and executive types.

Before corvid-19 hit the Seattle area, I was supposed to cover events for International Women's Day, shoot some interviews in a couple of high schools and conduct some interviews for our companies 20th-anniversary celebration. All of those activities are now off the table. Following in the footsteps of every other tech company, we are now on voluntary quarantine, and all workers are encouraged to work remotely and practice social distancing.

In the past week and a half, I've had a few interviews in the office, so working from home wasn't an option. While coming in for these shoots, I noticed that there weren't many people in the building, so I just kept coming in (to edit). There have been a few days where I haven't seen another soul on my floor, so I've felt pretty safe working here. I still practice good hygiene habits (washing hands thoroughly and frequently, wiping down work surfaces, not touching my face, etc.), and I've been backing my work up on a portable hard drive every night, in case the city goes on lock-down.

I have a powerful workstation at home, so it wouldn't be hard to do the same work there as I do in the office, but my ISP is Comcast, so I would miss the stable and reliable high-speed internet connection that I enjoy at work.

[EDIT] I meant to sum this up by answering one of the questions in the headline... how is business? It doesn't seem to be slowing down yet. As people in other parts of the company look for ways to engage with the rest of the business, and share information in more intimate and immediate ways than newsletters and mass emails, I imagine they'll turn to producing more self shot videos and podcasts. I think there's going to be a lot to do in the months ahead.

Shawn

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]