APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Szalapski
Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?
on Mar 18, 2020 at 9:38:05 pm

It's a reality that, for some of us, working from home just simply isn't an option.

I do 3d animation and motion graphics. I do a bit of that on the side which I've always done from home, but my full time gig involves work that is, in some cases, literally classified. As the COVID-19 issue heats up and becomes unavoidable, we've been having meetings and discussions on what things we might be able to do from home and the answer is "not much". Even if a project isn't sensitive at all, there are rules against moving assets off of the secure server to a different system and it makes things very complicated for any attempt to work elsewhere.

We can be a bit flexible in taking some "training time" to go through some of those tutorial series we've been putting off. (Like Division 05's excellent master classes and full courses.) But we only get allotted a certain amount of time for that.

Otherwise, I guess we can try to offset our schedules a bit so we overlap as little as possible. Otherwise, there's not much else we can do.

This is an unprecedented situation.

But we've faced unprecedented situations before. When 9-11 came, our whole country shut down for a little while. Planes were grounded, events were canceled, etc., but most of us survived it. As it faded into the past, we adapted to a new normal and that is what will happen again. What sort of long-term changes to our daily lives are brought about by this pandemic is currently unknown. Maybe, once this is all over, we'll avoid handshakes and just opt for bowing like they do in Japan - who knows?

The best advice I can offer is to stay calm, take all necessary precautions, and then live your life as best you can. Or, to borrow from Frozen II, don't obsess about the difficulty of planning too far into the future, just do the next right thing.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]