APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

greg janza
Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?
on Mar 18, 2020 at 3:25:01 pm

For the past year I've been a full time contract editor for the in-house agency of one of the tech titans. The on-set of the coronavirus coincided with the expiration of my one year contract and so I've returned to working on freelance projects from home.

Meanwhile, the in-house agency has shifted to all remote work for it's team and all productions have been put on hold so post has primarily ground to a halt for them.

I had a stable of corporate production clients before signing on for the one year contract and so I feel lucky in that I was able to return to those clients. I'm currently working on two projects at home and I've recently been contacted to potentially sign on for a large virtual conference project.

I feel for the folks in tv and film since remote working just isn't possible.

I agree with Tim that the repercussions of this pandemic will be large for our industry. Once we get a handle on the virus and return to work, the ramping up of production will take time and for post folks there'll be a period of little or no work.

What should be discussed openly is how best to cope with that down period. I'm old enough to have experienced the economic pain of 911 (as well as the emotional of course) and more recently the 2008 crash. I was a full-time freelancer during both of those periods and it was very challenging to keep working and to stay positive and calm.

If I've learned anything over the years, it's that these periods will eventually pass and life will get better. If you're a full time freelancer it's imperative to have a solid rainy day fund (3-6 months of savings for monthly expenses.) Have trust in your skills and your network. And in the interim period before things get better, try to enjoy life. Go do things that take your mind off of the situation and which release stress - hike, bike, golf, etc. Staring endlessly at your computer monitor scouring job boards will only lead to depression and crippling anxiety.

This is truly uncharted territory for us as a nation and the world but I have confidence in that old adage, "This too shall pass."

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tmprods
tallmanproductions.net

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]