APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?
on Mar 18, 2020 at 1:00:05 pm

I'm working concurrently on two PBS cooking shows with a small team of editors, one in Pennsylvania, one in New York, and two in Boston. We each have duplicate raids for each series (32 TB and 24 TB) and swap project files (Ppro and AE) as needed . We upload our cuts to Kollaborate, where the producers, who work out of the main office in Boston, review and post their notes.

As of today the Boston office is closed and all the producers are working from home. From the perspective of our editorial workflow there has been no change to our output or efficiency. We have been working this way for many years, and I have been editing at home for the majority of the last 30 years.

On the other hand I am also the Director of these shows, and originally we were scheduled for a 3 week shoot starting in May, with rehearsals and meetings scattered throughout March & April, all of this at the Boston main office where we shoot our shows. First we cancelled all the March rehearsals and then as of yesterday we postponed the shoot for 3 weeks. I'm guessing this will not be the last postponement.

With a stay at home population desperate for entertainment and distraction, I'm fairly confident that these shows will get made sooner rather than later. As an out of shape and overweight elder I'm hoping that I will be available when the call comes. As the husband of a hospice nurse who cares for those most susceptible to this virus, and an idiot son who is staying in NYC rather than coming upstate to live with me out of fear of getting me sick, I have bigger worries to think about.

As for the future, I believe in de-centralized editing, as long as you can trust your editors. Production, by it's nature, cannot be anything but a high contact sport. Content is in demand, money is honey, and if they had TV during the bubonic plague you would find newsmen/women out in the field covering it. With garlic around their necks.

Good luck to us all, and I think everything will work out fine (the virus is not the plague.)

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]