APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve Kownacki
Re: How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?
on Mar 18, 2020 at 12:05:46 pm

About 18 months ago I pivoted from scripted production to live event work and conferences. Audio, video, lighting, staging, recording and streaming. Full plate until March 9 when the phone started ringing off the hook... with cancellations of every project until June. Gulp. Good thing I know about streaming. It took a week, but the phone's ringing again (not crazy though) and we're transitioning those events to virtual events. Here in PA, everything "non-essential" is shut down, but private businesses are doing a combo of work from home and the office. We go in and work with their skeleton staff and no audience, but put on all levels of conferences. Lots of breakouts with death by powerpoint, but they are putting effort into general/plenary sessions to not just be a guy at a webcam - almost getting to full, multi-cam production for them. Some presenters are remote. It's all over the place, literally, where feeds may come from and the quality of one feed to the next.

I'm VERY worried about the internet and if it will sustain this sudden burst. Some experts say it was built for it and no worries. So why is my fios at home so laggy lately? I use a bonded LTE router for data redundancy. Cool how I've been an IT nerd with managed switches and NDI video over the last week.

Fortunately for me, I'm weathering OK at the moment. But without live events, I'm not hiring much crew if any. I truly feel for everyone.

Here's a link to an Events Industry bailout petition if you care to read and sign.

Try to stay healthy. Maybe we need to unplug 2020 and reboot.

Steve

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]