APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
How's business right now? (Also, what and where?) And how are YOU doing?
on Mar 17, 2020 at 8:22:38 pm

The news has been so full of "okay, everybody's working at home" or "everybody SHOULD work at home" that it's easy to forget that not everyone in the world of video production has been granted this option. This post on Twitter yesterday really jumped out at me. Brit DeLillo is an editor who's assisted on pictures including Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and Birds of Prey:

(And yes, that was my edit to her tweet.)

She brings up a limitation that many of you have mentioned re: remote workflows, that the security needs of your projects won't allow it.

And the kicker for the project she's working on right now:

Please don't make this thread about judging her or Warner Bros. I'm just raising it to illustrate that it's abundantly clear that not everybody's experience fits into the convenient narrative that we're all going to stay home and wait this out and that everything will work out fine.

The additional question is, even for the folks who can work from home, or who have paid leave, what's waiting on the other side? Vulture (the pop culture site for New York Magazine) spoke to a number of showrunners who are all-but certain that their shows won't be reconvening to shoot suspended episodes this season. The seasons will end with whatever's in the can already, which really REALLY raises some questions for SERIES finales that haven't yet been filmed. Network TV Shows Won't Be Coming Back This Season

All of which makes "remote editing" or any kind of work from home entirely beside the point for vast swaths portions of our industry. Not a lot of cinematography happening from home at the moment (although give it time, I guess), and commercial shoots might be slowing down as companies are trying to figure out what the marketplace might look like by the time the spot airs. Live events are obviously off for a while, whether concerts or sports, which is going to have implications for news, promos, and so much more. I don't think ANYONE has really mapped out just how far this is going to reach into our industry, partly because our industry is so vast.

As a result, I'm cross-posting this in a variety of forums, covering audio, video, motion graphics, 3D, shooting, editing, and more.

So whether you're a freelancer, self-employed, corporate, worship, in EVERY aspect of the creative enterprise -- what's really truly happening with YOU? And how are you feeling about your gig's ability to weather this storm?

All perspectives are relevant here, no matter your age, experience, gender, or geography. We're all just trying to figure this out, so the more voices, the better for everyone.

Thanks,
Tim

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]