APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: NAB Cancellation Thread: From Adobe, AJA, and Avid to Zaxcom. And of course NAB themselves!

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Suszko
Re: NAB Cancellation Thread: From Adobe, AJA, and Avid to Zaxcom. And of course NAB themselves!
on Mar 13, 2020 at 12:14:39 pm

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, having attended nary a single NAB. It was all because it was in Vegas. Anywhere else, I might have talked the admin into subsidizing the occasional trip. When you work for a government department, there's en extra layer of scrutiny to everything you do, and for decades, our management would not allow us to go to NAB on the public dime for fear of a muck-racking columnist making a cheap shot headline out of it: "your tax dollars wasted on employee junkets to Vegas". So... we could go... but only if we took vacation time and funded our trips out of pocket. Never could afford that. So actually finding and using the COW back in the day was how I first got to vicariously see and learn about what you folks got to actually experience in the Real. Only without the foot pain, the heat, the crowds getting in the way of you getting a better look. Was I jealous of you all? Yes. Did I still end up learning enough to advise my bosses on future purchases? Yes.

I love the TED talk format for making presentations. I am also a huge fan of Pecha_Kucha Night presentations, which are timed talks linked to 20 powerpoint slides. Each slide is locked in at a 20 second length. 20 slides, 20 seconds each, no stops, no do-overs, no extensions, and you are done. It's fast, it promotes efficient communication, it's like presentation haiku, and it's fun. Check out https://www.pechakucha.com

So, if I was building a portal site for a virtual NAB booth-crawl, I'd standardize the format for maximum info in the minimum time, to say, two minutes of overview and key features. I'd also have a rule that I reject demos made with just a shotgun mic on the camera or phone. This is NAB and you have to have SOME standards. It amazes me how many demos I find on Youtube where an engineer who should know better is demoing with hollow, echoey, off-mic audio.

But I digress..

So, standardized format, short short run time with links to expanded versions. Keyword-searchable, by maker/brand as well as type and function. So If I'm shopping for a switcher I can see all the switcher-related clips in one bunch. Links to a discussion thread for Q&A and detail if you want it.

And I want all the panels open to view, all the keynotes, white paper presentations, round table discussions, no paywalls. NAB is not just the hardware show floor but also the experts talking about the industry and where it is going. That's the simplest part to share online.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]