APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: NAB Cancellation Thread: From Adobe, AJA, and Avid to Zaxcom. And of course NAB themselves!

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: NAB Cancellation Thread: From Adobe, AJA, and Avid to Zaxcom. And of course NAB themselves!
on Mar 13, 2020 at 9:21:53 am

[Mark Suszko] "Can you make it in VR so I can put on a pair of goggles, some too-tight shoes, and watch it on my treadmill? :-)"

You read our minds!

Okay, kidding aside. You're now in charge of the NAB Show. What are you thinking about for the rest of 2020?

The Twittersphere was circulating a rumor about rescheduling for the summer, which strikes me as a bad idea for a number of reasons (not least of which is THE DESERT IN THE SUMMER), doubling down on NAB NY in October (assuming that it comes to pass), or NAB marshalling their vast resources to record and stream presentations of....something/anything. (I'm sure that they could get Todd Rundgren to help if they asked.)

The challenge isn't just for NAB alone, although it certainly starts there. We've already heard from SxSW that the revenue loss from canceling their three Austin festivals (movies, music, and tech) has led to cutting a third of their staff already, and serious questions over whether the festivals will be back next year. That's surely not going to be quite the case for NAB (right? like I know, though), but we've considered the folks who run the show and conferences to be our friends, and we sympathize with their challenge.

But there's also the responsibility that I know that they feel to the many partners who time their product development and release cycles to the April show. Some of them clearly have the resources to mount major streaming initiatives on their own, but some of them could use a boost from NAB...somehow...to help them recoup the investment they've made in development in ways that support NAB, and now look to NAB for support in creating something resembling the splash they would have made during the show.

(I won't even try to count all the press releases we'd already gotten from folks announcing what they were bringing to the show. Some, I've been able to edit and still have them make sense, say, for products with a firm ship date, or shipping now. But quite a few were speaking about specific things they were planning to DO at the show. Those stories are going to have get rewritten after the strategies do.)

So, you're NAB, thinking about what you can do for your own organization, and what you can do for some of the companies who count on you...what would YOU do?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]