APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Resolve beefs up audio - where's FCPX?

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: Resolve beefs up audio - where's FCPX?
on Mar 10, 2020 at 1:35:47 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Mar 10, 2020 at 1:39:55 am

Firstly Fairlight invented digital sampling. The CMI was the worlds first sampler with a sequencer. Synclavier came later and basically copied the Fairlight approach. One of the first customers for the Fairlight CMI was Stevie Wonder. Yes Australian. Two men Kim Ryrie & Peter Vogel developed the first sampler/ sequencer in the harbor side Sydney suburb of Fairlight.

As a long term user of dSP (a Fairlight offshoot) and then Fairlight Xynergi (developed when Fairlight bought the dSP IP and software dev team), I have been intimately involved with the development of this product. Since Blackmagic bought the Fairlight IP, they also employ the software team that go back to the dSP developments of the 1990's. Fairlight could never compete with the ProTools marketing muscle or the clout of Apple with Logic. However the use of Fairlight tended to be with big Japanese & European broadcasters. It was and still is the most intuitive and powerful of DAWs. Using a single FPGA card, I have had the capacity to mix 1000 tracks, with full EQ, dynamics and automation for 15 years into surround formats. Six years ago I upgraded the FPGA card to allow for multichannel outputs like Dolby Atmos, NHKs 22.2 surround and many others. Although Fairlight standalone has been EOL for over three years, its still leading edge.

I have been dismayed at the progress of integration of Fairlight into Resolve which is my software of choice for grade & finishing. This latest update is getting closer and I am looking at the feasibility of moving over to just using the Resolve Fairlight to do what I now do with the old standalone. For that I will definitely want the edit control panel and a single mixer panel. Doing audio with a mouse and virtual faders is awful.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]