APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: AJA will not be on-site at NAB2020

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim Wilson
Re: AJA will not be on-site at NAB2020
on Mar 10, 2020 at 12:55:49 am

[Roger Van Duyn] "The panic mentality has really taken hold. "

To me, "panic mentality" is something like stockpiling toilet paper, which is definitely happening where I live. Uhm, what exactly do y'all think is going to happen here?

Whereas canceling festivals and trade shows seems like the bare minimum of prudence, no more or less panicky than washing your hands for 20 seconds.

(Rather than singing the Alphabet song twice, my favorite way to count to 20 is to recite: "Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before." You gotta put the pause after the word "space", and I'm sure you nerds know exactly how long to pause. Plus however much time you want to add to sing the theme at the end.)

I'm not saying that YOU'RE saying this, Roger, but the reason why I get nervous when people decry "panic mode" (and yes, y'all can buy the regular amount of TP, please and thank you) is that it can also prevent prudence.

Remember around Y2K, there were engineers saying, "Bad things are going to happen if you don't address this, and here's just a taste based on the simulations we've run." It became a game in the media to see who could make the biggest deal out of saying THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. And what happened was that people of good intent DID listen, and DID act, and DID pay for the development and rapid deployment of patches to make sure that embedded systems kept working, and indeed they did.

And what happened? These same know-nothing nutsacks that were screaming about Y2K being a hoax were now shouting SEE? NOTHING HAPPENED. ALL THAT WORRYING FOR NOTHING.

No, it wasn't for nothing. And it wasn't worrying. It was a warning raised by people who are paid to look out for trouble and issue these exact kind of warnings. And smart people heeded the warnings, and THAT's why nothing bad happened.

So the ideal scenario is that by this time next month, nobody in Austin will have gotten sick, nobody will have died. And I pray that a bunch know-nothing nutsacks don't froth at mouths screaming SEE? NOTHING HAPPENED. ALL THAT WORRYING FOR NOTHING....when the truth is, it wasn't for nothing, and it wasn't worrying. It was listening to warnings from people who are paid to give those kinds of warnings, taking basic steps, and AFTER THAT, sure, we're all here to tell the tale, if everything goes right. Let's make it as easy as possible for things to go right by keeping fewer pieces in motion.

Because look, the best case scenario anyone is talking about is 100,000 dead in the US. THAT'S NOT MUCH, RIGHT? Certainly nothing like 675,000 in 1918. Only about 3x a bad flu season. But we're still gonna lose those 30-ish thousand folks anyway, so this 100,000 is on top of that, and that's a best-case scenario.

So let's just nod calmly, admit that this year is a little different, so we'll take little steps. Use the normal amount of toilet paper at home for a couple of extra days this year, and maybe not get super-frothy because we don't get to climb in a germ tube of a plane to fly into a germ-bath of a convention center with thousands of people you don't even like to be around the few dozen people you do, 🤣 and let's do it next year instead.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]