APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: AJA will not be on-site at NAB2020

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Gissing
Re: AJA will not be on-site at NAB2020
on Mar 8, 2020 at 11:52:34 pm

I've been musing over this issue for a while. It seems that seasonal flu which killed 650,000 people world wide last year was no reason to restrict our passion for travel and trade shows. COVID-19, currently rare, certainly has a higher mortality rate that seasonal flu (10 x the flu's current mortality) but is still relatively harmless as a virus, compared to Smallpox, Ebola and others. Highly virulent flu variants like the H1N1 at the end of World War 1 killed between 40 and 100 million, although it's really hard to know exact mortality. It was the first and most dramatic world pandemic. We always stand the chance that a variant in seasonal flu will be far more virulent than COVID-19.

I'm in two minds about this seemingly over reaction to COVID-19. I applaud the efforts to limit the spread and I have no issue with the cancelling of trade shows. Along with that I applaud anyone who wishes to limit their travel over the next year and who self isolate when they have a cold, just in case. My reasoning is that the greater good this will afford the environment, at the obvious expense of our broken capitalist system, will also make us question our normal social selfishness.

I've just returned from a three week location doco shoot with a head cold which cleared up in a couple of days, but it did focus my mind and behaviour, avoiding people who are health fragile and self isolating for a couple of days just in case. It's pretty clear that I don't have COVID-19 but I did think more about others than I do when seasonal flu comes through.

I have never been to NAB and now probably this will be the beginning of the end of such shows as the internet age means they are less relevant.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]