APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: More Mac Pro Stuff

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jim Curtis
Re: More Mac Pro Stuff
on Mar 7, 2020 at 5:20:52 pm

I ordered a 24-core w/ AMD2 the day they went on sale. After I installed 256 GB of OWC RAM, I had invested around $15K. I already had a super-fast 8-drive ATTO SAS RAID on my MacPro5.1, which I installed in the new Mac.

I use Premiere, and I'm very happy with the speed and the money spent. The GPU stays pretty maxed out on flavors of MP4 source media, but I still get inferior real-time on accelerated effects to what I got in my older MacPro cheesegrater with Nvidia Titan CUDA GPU (on codecs and frame sizes that played nice with that computer model). I get better performance with OpenCL (which Adobe calls "Deprecated") to Metal (which Adobe calls "Recommended"): more yellow and less red in the timeline render indicator.

I'm hoping that Adobe will figure out how to optimize Metal to approach the capability of CUDA (now unavailable in the 2019 and 2020 updates) before too much longer. I'm hoping my hope isn't delusional.

As I get more 4K and lately 8K as source media, upgrading was practically a must (I'm a full time contract post provider). Some compressed 4K on the trash cans is frustrating, and totally untenable on older MacPros without resorting to proxy workflows.

I recently cut a RED RAW 8K source project in which the footage played as smooth as butter at 1/2 resolution with Lumetri color correction effects and downscaling to 4K applied.

Biggest disappointment is that the new MacPros require Catalina, which still has problems at 10.15.3. I'm rebooting about as much as I did under OS9, and have had to reinstall it FOUR TIMES. This isn't unusual, though. Most versions of OSX had problems until the builds got to 10.x.5 or later.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro7,1 24-core - 256 GB RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB - 10.15.3

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]