APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: AJA will not be on-site at NAB2020

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: AJA will not be on-site at NAB2020
on Mar 5, 2020 at 5:29:47 pm

[Tim Wilson] "But I'm also aware from having some immuno-compromised folks in my family that I could easily survive something like the flu or Coronavirus that I might pass along as a carrier, that would kill THEM. I gotta tell you, I'd really rather not live with the burden of killing an older or younger loved one because I felt the need to see a bunch of new widgets or old friends. It can all wait this year.
"

THIS.

I'm blessed with pretty excellent health for my age. So I don't have a single fear that attending NAB would put me in the slightest jeopardy.

But I'm utterly unwilling to become a vector for a known virus that's spread by close human contact.

Two anecdotes from the past week. There's a small little shopping center a 2 minute walk from my front door. We're there a LOT because the mom and pop restaurant is convenient, they all know us, and when we need a break from edit sessions, we tend to take that path of least resistance. It's the type of restaurant where there are two signs on the wall near the large "back room" noting that the Rotary and the Lions both have held meetings there for decades. Three of us were eating there the other day and I looked around the eatery and while some days the place is full of families and business folk, this particular day a bit late in the lunch cycle I suspect the average age of the clientele was about 80.

THAT is where I'm simply NOT going to be the guy who came back from a monster convention carrying a bug that probably wouldn't hurt ME - but might screw with all the decent veterans and locals in my neighborhood who are just trying to live out their lives in peace and quiet.

Two doors down is the local barbershop.

I don't always go there, because frankly, the shop is kinda Trump Central, and the political discussions barely make sense to me. (Bitcoin is a liberal plot? Really?) But I still like to stop by every few months and listen to the concerns of that slice of contemporary thinking. But THIS TIME, the average age in the room was closer to 90! Talk about the MOST vulnerable population.

And what REALLY stuck me was that as both the barbers finished one customer, they didn't even wash hands or use sanitizer between clients. They had actually TALKED about COVID-19 during the time I was there - but didn't actually do ANY of the recommendations as a public business full of barber chair arms and cash bills and magazines that the general public spends time touching all day long.

The more I think about this the more I think maybe I ought to look seriously into buying a Flowbee.

That's the landscape out there, at least in my neighborhood here in San Diego.

And it's not very pretty.

If I did go to NAB, I'd try to spend the next month self-monitoring and go out as little as possible for the next month. I can do that because my entire editing operation is at home now. But I'm still an outlier that way.

And my thinking about everything has changed a bunch in the past month.

FWIW.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]